I travelled for work for 2 days. You know the drill...lots of driving, hotels, restaurants. Here's what I did to stay on my clean eating commitment.
- Drank my protein shake before I left & grabbed a Lara bar for my morning snack. Love Lara Bars! They only have like 3 ingredients and they hit the sweet tooth in a healthy way.
- Found a health food store on route and got a fruit and protein smoothie and wheat grass shot for lunch. Not a fan of wheat grass, but I hold my nose and chug it so I can get a little green goodness for my insides. P.S. On the topic of protein smoothies, always ask what they put in them. If it says sugar free anywhere, or if it has flavored syrup in it...stay away. Mine had almond milk, whey protein, strawberries, and banana. If you have the option to add flax, chia, or some other form of fiber, do it.
- Made sure I had gum in the car for when the munchies hit. (I used to get Mike & Ike's instead...still chewy and yummy, but a lot more sugar and calories.)
- Stopped for gas break and got a bottle of water, cup of ice, and cashews for snack. Since chomping ice is a great way to beat the munchies, but a terrible way to treat your teeth, I think we should start rating gas stations by their ice quality. So I vote Circle K for #1 and Jack Flash as #732. Circle K has THE BEST, little, round, pellet, crunch-apart-easy ice I've ever crunched. Jack Flash's ice is big, dangerously pointed, and will not crunch. Your tooth will break first. Crazy as it sounds, I will definitely be looking for more Circle K's on my route in the future.
- Had a dinner meeting at Houlihans and ordered the grilled chicken and spinach salad with strawberries and dressing on the side. Hold the cheese, add pecans...perfect!
- Brought my Magic Bullet and had my protein shake in my hotel room. See the picture above. I even brought a banana, a little single container of So Delicious Coconut milk, and a straw 'cause I can't drink a proten shake without a straw. Add ice from the hotel and voila! Not as great as the Vitamix does, but not bad. However, in hindsight, I wish I had gone down to the hotel lobby and eaten breakfast there. It was free and they had plain oatmeal with walnuts and raisins. I love oatmeal. Then I could have had my protein shake for lunch or snack later. Oh well. Next time.
- Brought along another Lara bar for after my meeting.
- Lunch was a drive thru Panera Bread "You Pick Two" with the Black Bean Soup and 1/2 Strawberry Poppyseed Salad (dressing on the side). Yummm.
Summary: I felt great and came home weighing the same as when I left...success!
My name is Stevyn. I am a wife, mother, and exercise physiologist with one foot in the world of travel and one foot in the world of fitness. Learn more about me here.
This blog is a mixture of travel adventures and wellness topics that impact how we live at at home, work, and school.
I hope you will join me for the adventure by subscribing below.